Monday, June 12, 2023

Welcome Home, Old Friend!

 Look who found his way back home!

Eleven years ago, the eBugeye found a new home in California with a fellow who had recently retired and was looking for a project. The batteries, charger, and controller were stripped out and repurposed in the evTD, so he received the rolling shell with the NetGain motor and adapter installed.

Barry, the new owner, added 44 100Ah CALB batteries, a SolitonJr controller, and a Thunderstruck DC/DC converter, along with all the bits and pieces to complete the project. Unfortunately Barry passed away shortly after his first test drive around the block. I asked his son, who had inherited the car, to let me know if he ever decided to sell it. After sitting in his garage for nine years, I guess he finally decided it was time to let it go. Long story short, it’s back in my garage alongside the evTD and the PorschEV.

With five cars now in the fleet, the wife notes that at least two need to find new homes. As soon as I get the Bugeye licensed and inspected (more on that below), I'll detail the Porsche, finish the new battery pack in the MG, and get both on the market. If you have interest in either or both, drop me a line and we'll work something out. I'd like them to go to a good home with someone who appreciates the special nature of these cars.

Interestingly, the Bugeye was set up for charging directly from the builder's home solar, so I need to add a charger to the system and finish some of the loose ends that were left. The good news is that I happen to have the Elcon charger formerly in the MG that is supported by the Thunderstruck control set. Thunderstruck has introduced a new Master Control Unit that incorporates the charge controller and BMS controller in a single integrated box, so that's what's going into the Bugeye. Stay tuned for more as the saga continues.













No comments:

Post a Comment